Sunday, January 14, 2007

simply something like magic...

Trying to get some scrapping done today, but haven't gotten too far yet. This is one of my most recent scrapbook layouts that was inspired by a concert by Matthew Mayer that I attended at Mount Marty College back in November. Seriously, if you ever have the chance to see/hear this guy, he is AWESOME!!! He is from South Dakota and went to California as a young adult to work on his career. Now, he actaully lives in Omaha and plays all over the US. I bought three of his CD's that night - Beyond, Merry Christmas, and Reflections (I especially like the first two). If you are interested in his CD's or tour dates, visit his website.
It took me awhile to get to this one because I had no photo to go with it, but still really wanted to scrap the memory and the poem I wrote. Well, finally I found a solution...I used a stock photo. I've never done that before and don't plan to do it often, but for this purpose, it worked.

The hidden journaling on the tag is actually an email that I wrote to the performer and his response, which came a couple days later:

email to Matt…Thursday, November 17, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

Matt,
This may seem odd, but I just had to share this with you, Matt. I began writing poetry when I was in grade school - 3rd grade, I think. I wrote throughout grade school, high school, and college. Then, for some reason - I can't even say what - I stopped. No life changing event, no catastrophic loss...I have often joked that I 'lost my muse.'
Tonight, after your performance at Mount Marty, I wrote my first poem in over eight years...most of it actually simply 'came' to me as I sat there with my sleeping daughter in my lap and watched you play. You are amazing...Here is my poem - I hope you like it!
Jill

reply from Matt…Saturday, November 18, 2006, 10:32 p.m.

Jill,
I was touched by your email. Thank you for taking the time to share this with me. It is emails like this that keep me motivated as well.
I hope you continue on with your poetry. Your work is beautiful and very touching. You have definitely been given a gift to write like that, and hope you keep going with it. It would be a shame if you didn’t keep exploring that side of you. Your words were very meaningful to me. Thank you for sharing this experience.
As the holidays approach, I wish you and your daughter a very peaceful and Merry Christmas!
Blessings,
Matthew Mayer

Here is the poem that I wrote which is highlighted next to the stock photo:

there was simply something like magic
about the sound that came
with the sway of his body as he sat
that brought a shiver to mine

there was simply something like magic
about the bounce of the light
off the backs of his hands
that brought tears to my eyes

there was simply something like magic
about the movement of his fingers
that made every hope and dream I ever had
well up inside my chest

there was simply something like magic
about the brush of every ivory key -
no matter gentle or full of force -
that had the power to move my heart

there is simply something like magic
about this man, his piano and passionate notes

@j.m. paulson

simply something like magic...SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend