Saturday, January 12, 2008

A granny-walker saved my life...

Last Sunday, we took my niece, Emily to the rink down the street for a birthday party her friend was having there and we all decided to give ice skating a go.

Let me just say, I never learned how to roller skate (at least not well) and this was the first time in my life that I'd ever even had ice skates on my feet...Kaitlin's first time, too.

This difference between us, it seems, is that she has NO fear! Me, on the other hand, have never had a broken bone (yes, lucky, I know) and don't really have any desire to get one at this point in my life.

There is probably a more 'technical' term for them, but they had these 'granny-walkers' there for people who had no idea what they were doing (that's us) to help them stay upright. We weren't the only ones using them, so it wasn't too embarrassing.

Here's Kaitlin with my sister. She wanted to ditch the walker many times, but I wouldn't let her. She still fell from time to time and I don't think she quite understood how much it was breaking the fall.

Then, as I was struggling my way around the rink with my granny-walker, this very nice girl glided by and took pity on this little girl whose mother was obviously of no help to her.

"Can I push you daughter around the rink?" she asked.

The sparkle in Kaitlin's eye answered the question and off they went...


I went around the rink a few times, but gave up pretty quickly...the rental skates are kind of like bowling shoes - ugly (not the main issue) and NOT comfortable (main issue - my feet HURT)!

But Kaitlin just kept going around and around and around...not with very good technique, mind you, but she made it just the same and she was NOT a happy camper when it was time to leave.

I checked into lessons and they are offering the last session of the year, but it meets three times per week and I was afraid that would be just too much considering her practice schedule for the play will start to pick up beginning today - she has a 4-hour practice this afternoon!

We'll have to keep it in mind for her next year and try to get her into an earlier session.

A granny-walker saved my life...SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend