Saturday, July 14, 2007

SSFS #24 - Quotes: Related to Scrapbooking

I love to collect quotes and use them in my scrapbooking when I'm at a loss for words or just want a little 'something' to enhance the journaling already on a page. I've even been known to use a quote as a page title before.

These are a few quotes that I've come across lately that really appealed to me in the way that they relate to scrapbooking (and photography also, really).

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein
This quote made me laugh when I first read it! Isn't this so true...people are pressured to come up with best and brightest ideas/concepts/products every day...but how many of them are 'truly' original? If scrappers are honest, I believe most would have to admit that they glean a great deal of inspiration from other scrappers...and most have done at least one scrap lift or two. In most situations, people often seem to want to hide their 'sources' and take credit for themselves. However, scrapper's tend to be a bit of a different breed in this respect (IMO). They openly share their work, their sources, and encourage others to take inspiration from it.

"Imagination and fiction make up more than three-quarters of our real life."
Simone Weil
This one is just thought provoking to me...how much of what we portray through our scrapbooking (or photography) is 'real'? For example, if you were to look through the scrapbooks I've created for my daughter, you would think that she's a perfect angel. She is, sometimes, but she's certainly had her share of 'moments'. However, as of yet, no many, if any, of those 'moments' have made it into her scrapbook. I guess that the last thing I think of doing when she's slamming doors and yelling, "FINE!" at the top of her lungs is grabbing my camera. I should work on that. After all, she deserves to be reminded of those moments when she's older, right? Like when she has a child of her own slamming doors! :-)

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection."
Anais Nin
To me, this one sums up the entire reason why we scrapbook...and why we take pictures in the first place. Isn't it so that we can remember the people/events/moments in our lives that shaped us? And isn't it interesting that often the thought or emotion that we had 'in the moment' can often be so different than the one we have 'in retrospection'. I often take Kaitlin out 'just to get some good pictures to scrap' and then when prints come back to me, they can bring out so many deeper emotions like how precious she is to me, how quickly she is becoming a girl and no longer my baby, and fear and excitement all at the same time in imagining what her future may bring.
What thoughts/ideas do these quotes bring to mind for you with respect to your scrapbooking? Do you have others quotes that you have come across that have made you stop and think along these lines? Please share!
SSFS #24 - Quotes: Related to ScrapbookingSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend