Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Emeril or Rachel Ray any day...who needs SpongeBob?

Kaitlin has developed a strange obsession to cooking shows...in fact, if given the choice between a cooking show and a cartoon (yes, even SpongeBob), she will actually choose the cooking show! I think the Food Network is her new favorite channel!

I'm not quite sure what to think of it.

Sure, everyone knows Rachael Ray and Emeril Lagasse, but I'm actually beginning to recognize the names and faces Giada de Laurentiis, Cat Cora, Jill Cordes, Robin Miller, Peter Marr...and believe you me, I am no chef! In fact, my husband says that I can boil things pretty well. This is somewhat of an exaggeration, but not much...I actually prefer foods that require no boiling at all!

The other night my parents came over and to show them how truly serious this was, I changed channel to the Food Network...Iron Chef was just starting. I offered to turn it to cartoons.

"No, I want to watch this," she said and proceeded to plop herself down in the middle of the living room floor and stare at the TV. Mind you, there is not much (if anything) that gets this girl to sit still for more than 5-10 minutes at a time...

She watched the whole hour...frankly, I think she hardly noticed when her grandparents left!

So, I'm thinking that perhaps we have a blooming chef on our hands...I'm thinking, "This could be COOL!" Kaitlin grows up, starts cooking for the family and we can enjoy the flavors of food that hasn't been ruined by boiling! Hurrah!

No. Sorry. No luck.

"So, are you going to be a gourmet chef one day," I ask with a hopeful and happy heart.

"No, I just like to watch," she replies without looking away from the TV.

Frankly, I'm surprised she heard me at all.
Emeril or Rachel Ray any day...who needs SpongeBob?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend