Tuesday, July 20, 2010

:LAYOUT: Old Market

Since we're heading off for a relaxing mini-vacation to visit my sister-in-law and her husband this weekend, I have vacation on the brain.

Here's a great two-page spread featuring LOTS of pics (eleven if you're counting) from a 'mini-vaca' I took with my mom and sister a while back...something we should do again soon!

I used autoshapes in MS Word the size and shape of my photo and part of my title to help me shape the journaling appropriately before printing.

The transparency frame helps the standard 4x6 photo to stand out as the focal photo and the three rectangles of patterned paper create a visual triangle on the page.


Journaling:
This summer, my mom, sister and I took a two-day trip to Omaha. Our main purpose was to attend the Josh Groban concert on Friday night, but of course, we wanted to get in a little shopping, exploring and good eats as well.

The first afternoon we went to the Old Market in downtown Omaha. I have been there several times before, but only during work travel in the fall, so I was generally alone and the weather was generally much cooler.
Going to the Old Market in late summer and with family was quite a different experience. The place seemed so much more "alive." The colors, sounds and even tastes all seemed so much more vivid.

There were beautiful flowers for sale along the street and musicians on the corners.

We all had to make a stop at the Red Square, a store near to our hearts. The owners are a family from the Czech Republic and they have had a booth at Czech Days for many years and the girls in our family have gotten many Christmas gifts from them over the years – Czech crystal, jewelry and more.

We ate at Spaghetti Works and discovered what must be one of the best Bloody Mary’s I’ve ever had…have been back there since for this reason alone!

Supplies:
Cardstock (kraft): Paper Reflections
Patterned Paper & Letter Stickers: Basic Grey
Transparency Frames: Hambly
Ink: Colorbox
Font: Jayne Print
Corner Rounder: Marvy
Adhesive: Duck, Glue Dots
:LAYOUT: Old MarketSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend