Sunday, November 30, 2008

:CHRISTMAS BOOK COUNTDOWN: A wonderful holiday tradition...

Kaitlin has always loved her books.

There are an endless number of Christmas, holiday and winter-themed books available on the market, so when I discovered an idea for a new tradition combining the holidays and books, I knew it would be a hit!

Why not read books to and/with your family as you count down the days until Christmas?

First, select the holiday books you want to read with your family. It's nice to get a variety of books - short, long, religious, humorous, etc.

It may not be cost-effective or practical to go out and buy an entire collection of Christmas-themed books right now, so start with what you have. That's what we did last year. I can't remember where I even saw the idea initially, but once I had, the holiday season was already underway. However, I was able to find 7 Christmas or winter-themed books just by going through Kaitlin's bookshelf, so we counted down the 7 days before Christmas.

Over the past year, I watched for good deals on more great titles at Amazon and this year we'll be able to count down the 24 days before Christmas.

I wrapped them all up on Friday and numbered them 1 - 24. Beginning tomorrow, Kaitlin will find the book for that day, unwrap it and we'll sit down for some quality time together while we read the story.


As we go along, I will be sharing the book of the day with you, too. Stay tuned for the first book tomorrow.

Once Christmas is over, the books will stay out in the basket for awhile to read and look through again, but when the tree comes down, the books will get packed away as well until next year.

I really look forward to growing this collection of books over the years so that we have a little variety each year. Someday, the collection will be a wonderful gift to pass on to Kaitlin when she has a child of her own.
:CHRISTMAS BOOK COUNTDOWN: A wonderful holiday tradition...SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend