Monday, November 17, 2008

:BOOKSHELF: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I recently finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and LOVED it!

I usually read before going to bed and usually for only for a 1/2 hour or so, but there were seriously nights that I couldn't put this one down and would read for two hours or more.

The Kite Runner follows the story of two boys in Afghanistan, one the son of a wealthy business man and the other the son of their servant. They are inseparable - friends, so to speak - during their childhood and the relative stability of their country during the 1970's. Later, the turmoil of the country and Amir's disloyalty tears them apart.

The circumstances that lead to their separation haunt Amir even after he and his father flee to America and grows into adulthood.

Eventually, Amir's life takes a shocking twist as he is offered an opportunity to make amends in an unexpected way for the injustice that he inflicted upon his childhood friend .

There were many passages that literally made my jaw drop as I was reading because they were so moving...or visual...or both.

In many ways, this book read like a memoir...there were many times that I almost forgot that I was reading a work of fiction.

I don't read as much as I would like to anymore - at least not literature of this quality. Too much time reading scrapbooking mags and idea books, I guess. :-)

After reading this novel, though, I'm thirsting for another good read. Hey readers out there...what has been your latest stand out read?
:BOOKSHELF: The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend