Sunday, May 4, 2008

REVIEW: Scrapbook Max! Digital Scrapbooking Software

I was recently asked to review the digital scrapbooking software called "Scrapbook Max!" by Indigo Rose Software Design Corp.

I am not a digital scrapbooker - hybrid certainly, but not digital. I have been collecting beautiful free digital kits from various online sources for a couple years now, but still haven't made the switch to pure digital.

So, even though I'm not a digi scrapper, I am always interested in the software and technology and software available to scrapbookers. I wasn't sure what to expect of Scrapbook Max!, but was pleasantly surprised by its abilities.

The installation was SUPER simple - just put in the CD and within a few minutes the software is installed and a short video tutorial gives you the basics of operation. This software is very user friendly - no big learning curve here.

As I said before, I'm not a digi scrapper, but within 20 minutes of popping in the CD for installation, I had created this layout:

The software comes with numerous pre-designed scrapbook templates and hundreds of additional backgrounds and embellishments. At first glance, I didn't really care for the layout of many of the pre-designed templates, but all elements are fully customizable and require a simple drag-and-drop to move them around to more pleasing arrangements. Elements can also be easily added and deleted to produce truly unique creations.

Another great thing - if you use up the templates and elements provided or just want to try something new, you can use any of your saved digital kit elements by simply dragging them from their file on your computer to the layout window and presto...new backgrounds and elements! I made the following layout in just a few minutes using a free kit called "Echoes of Asia" by Jessica Sprague that I downloaded sometime last year:

Your creations can be shared in numerous ways in just a few clicks by converting scrapbooks to jpeg images, photo CD, PDF documents and more. You can also add music to personalize your scrapbooks even more.

Do I like this software? YES!

Am I likely to switch completely over to digital? Probably not...

Even though I certainly see the benefits of digital scrapbooking (less space required, less mess, easier sharing), for me there is just something about have pictures and product in hand and the act of physically moving them around a page that has yet to lose its attraction and fascination for me.

However, if you're someone who's just getting started with this wonderful hobby or an old paper pro for whom the draw of digital is undeniable (and their are many of you out there), Scrapbook Max! is definitely a great program with which to start! It will have you up and running and creating beautiful layouts and complete scrapbooks within minutes!

If you interested in learning more about Scrapbook Max! or would like to give their free trial a whirl, you can visit their website here.

REVIEW: Scrapbook Max! Digital Scrapbooking SoftwareSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend