Friday, April 4, 2008

REVIEW: Paper + Pixels: Scrapbook Layouts by May Flaum and Audrey Neal

Even though I do use my computer to edit my photos, type my journaling and create an custom embellishment now and then, I really still considered myself a 'traditional' paper scrapper.

May Flaum and Audrey Neal's Paper + Pixels: Scrapbook Layouts has really made me realize that I really am a hybrid scrapbooker.

They define hybrid scrapbooking as:

"...using your computer software (whether its a word processing program, photo editing software or a full-out graphic design program) to create some aspect of your page design."

By this definition, there is no mistaking that I am, in fact, a hybrid scrapbooker!

This book starts out with "Getting Started: Technology + Materials" so that you know what's needed if you're just getting started with adding hybrid elements to your layouts.

From there, the book is divided into 4 parts:

1) Photos
2) Text
3) Paper
4) Embellishments

Each of these parts includes five lessons on how to incorporate hybrid techniques into your scrapbooking at a variety of levels - beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

The only two programs used in this book are Microsoft Word and Photoshop Elements, which proves that you don't need a bunch of fancy software to create some amazing effects. As I said in my intro, I have often created journaling blocks and such and thought I knew my way around Word pretty well, but even I learned some new tricks from this book that I will be trying out soon!!

The book wraps up with a beautiful gallery of layouts showing variations of the techniques outlined in the book.

There are 64 layouts in the book and that might initially seem light for an idea book, but the book has detailed, step-by-step instructions that guide the reader through the entire process to create some wonderful results to enhance their layouts.

The layouts within the lessons are all by the authors, but the gallery includes layouts by several other very talented artists - Linda Barber, Angela Daniels, Caroline Ikeji, Amy Martin, Wendy McKeehan, Jennifer Olson, Cathy Pascual, Katrina Simeck, Kathleen Summers.

Want to know the BEST thing about this book??

It comes with a CD that holds 10 digital scrapbooking kits and 2 digital layout template kits!!! And, they are beautiful!! A great way to get started and try the techniques in this book!

MY RATING:
4 1/2 STARS

YOUR RATING:
??? I am always curious and open to hearing the opinions of others. If you own or have read this book, please feel free to share your opinion of it in the comments below.

WANT TO READ MORE AND/OR PURCHASE?
Visit the Paper + Pixels: Scrapbook Layouts page on Amazon.com to read other reviewers opinions and find out more about the book. You can also read more of my reviews or visit my aStore for other recommendations.
REVIEW: Paper + Pixels: Scrapbook Layouts by May Flaum and Audrey NealSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend