Friday, March 21, 2008

REVIEW: Scrap Simple: Using Minimal Design to Create Beautiful Scrapbook Pages

I have been admiring Hillary Heidelberg's scrapbooking style for quite some time and was not surprised when she was chosen as a Memory Makers Master for 2007.

So, when I found out about Hillary's book, Scrap Simple: Using Minimal Design to Create Beautiful Scrapbook Pages, scheduled to come out, I added it to my wish list right away.

The book is divided into 6 chapters:

1) Creating with Cardstock
2) Incorporating Patterned Paper
3) Adding Embellishments
4) Creating 2-page Layouts
5) Test as a Design Element
6) Utilizing White Space

There are over 100 fab layouts included within this book from Hilary and five other very talented contributors - Severine di Giacomo, Tracey Odachowski, Nichole Pereira, Amanda Probst, and Celeste Smith.

There are single photo and mulit-photo layouts in 12 x 12 and 8 1/2 x 11's. Hillary focuses on the craft of scrapbooking in a way that is liberating. One does not need to use a plethora of embellishments to create a stunning and memorable layout. My favorite piece of advice from this book is to focus on 'open-ended' or 'basic' embellishments rather than themed as themed can actually be very limited in their uses.

I also love the general designs of Hillary and the other contributors to this book. I found myself making sketch after sketch in my idea binder after the wonderfully inspiring designs.

MY RATING:
5 STARS

YOUR RATING:???
I am always curious and open to hearing the opinions of others. If you own or have read this book, please feel free to share your opinion of it in the comments below.

WANT TO READ MORE AND/OR PURCHASE?
Visit the Scrap Simple: Using Minimal Design to Create Beautiful Scrapbook Pages, page on Amazon.com to read other reviewers opinions and find out more about the book. You can also read more of my reviews or visit my aStore for other recommendations.

Upcoming Review:
Paper + Pixels: Scrapbook Layouts by May Flaum and Audrey Neal
REVIEW: Scrap Simple: Using Minimal Design to Create Beautiful Scrapbook PagesSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend