Thursday, January 17, 2008

The plague of the false alarms…

My husband has to be to work by 6 a.m. He is not, nor never has been, a morning person. And he sleeps like the dead. So, every morning his cell phone alarm goes off at about 5 a.m. He has no real intention of getting up at that time as he pretty much just throws on some cloths, brushes his teeth and leaves, but this early alarm is supposed to help him ‘start to wake up’.

It doesn’t work. He sleeps right through it, but it always wakes me up, so it usually involves me having to shake him awake to ask him to shut it off.

This morning’s ‘false alarm’ routine was a little different than usual, so thought I would share.

This morning it woke up Kaitlin who, luckily, usually sleeps right through it all. (If only I could be so lucky.) She came in our bedroom before I had mustered the energy to shake Justin away.

“Daaaad! You phone is ringing and it’s really loud.”

To which he mumbled something and shifted.

“Daaaadddd!”

A gruff and faint, “Hmmm…”

“Dad, shut that thing off! Some people are trying to sleep!”

To which he finally reached over and shut it off. And, of course, he didn’t get up. So, now that Kaitlin was completely awake, she wanted to crawl in with us and commenced to jabber about what she wanted to wear to school today and such.

Once she got settled, I said, “It’s time to go back to sleep.”

“I love you, Mom. I love you, Dad. Good night.”

About ten minutes pass…and, as always, the cell phone alarm goes off again.

“Daaaaad, it’s you phone AGAIN!”

His reponse was a little quicker this time, but not much…and, no, he still did get up.

About five minutes pass…and, as always, his clock radio, which he recently moved to our dresser so that it would force him to get up and out of bed to shut it off, starts blaring some horrid country twang.

UGH! Now it’s his radio, Mom. What is he doing to us!” I’m with ya babe…this is what I live with EVERY MORNING. “Daaaaad…go shut off your radio!”

Slowly…he rolls out of bed…shuts of the radio…and rolls BACK INTO BED!

And let me tell you, he actually goes back to sleep in between every one of these alarms…his snoring often proves. Me (and Kaitlin on this particular morning), on the other hand, are awake the whole time.

Then, about 5 minutes later (we’re now at about 5:25 a.m.) my radio alarm (tuned to a more pleasant morning melody and acceptable volume level) goes off and this is the cue to kick him out of bed (sometimes almost literally).

This morning as Justin was getting dressed in the dark, Kaitlin said, “I love you guys…now good night.” And she rolled over into Justin’s spot.

I’m glad she’s still feeling the love, ‘cause I'm usually NOT after Justin’s daily rendition of false alarms. I’ve asked, begged and pleaded for him to just cut out the first three alarms since he NEVER gets up anyway, but he seems to take pleasure in knowing that I lay there awake from the first ring at 5 a.m. every morning.

What a way to start every day!! At least Kaitlin made it a little more humorous this morning.
The plague of the false alarms…SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend