Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Good reads and great mail...

GOOD READS:
I'm not reading as much as I used to these days (other than scrapbooking mags and idea books, that is), but when I read Mary Lawson's Crow Lake last year I knew I had found a writer I loved. If you'd like, you can see what I had to say about that book here. It was her first book, so had to wait for a second.

The Other Side of the Bridge was published late last August, but I just purchased it recently and finished it just the other night. It is similar to her first book in a couple ways. It is again set in Canada and also weaves together two time periods through its main characters.

This book follows brothers Arthur and Jake in the 1930's and Ian in the late-50's, early 60's and it is amazing how she entwines the plots of these character together without becoming confusing or giving away too much/too little of the final outcome in the process. I am a sucker for good historical fiction and Mary Lawson can write it!

I hope another book comes sooner...there was a five year gap between her first book and this one. I'll be waiting for another, Mary!

GREAT MAIL:
I received another party order in the mail for MemoryWorks yesterday. There just nothing like getting a HUGE box of scrapbooking supplies...too bad 95% of it wasn't mine. I was drooling the whole time I was going through everything and getting the orders all divided up to deliver to the party hostess.

I did get a couple fun items though like this the new Kiss & Tell kit from My Mind's Eye:

So glad I snatched that one up before they went out of stock...not sure if they will be getting more or not.

Also got the Be Good Chipboard Alpa set from Cosmo Cricket:

The picture doesn't quite do them justice...basically a red capital alpha set with these white swirls running through them...really neat.

And...these Daisy D's rub-on tapes that I've been eying for awhile - the Fancy Border and the Straight Stitch:


Can't wait to try them all out!!

I've been keeping up with my layout a week resolution...will be sharing another layout soon.

Good reads and great mail...SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend