Thursday, September 13, 2007

College Fairs, Wedding and Renaissance Fair

College Fairs
It's certainly been a crazy week. I left home for Omaha, NE on Sunday afternoon and in three days (M-W), I visited every Catholic high school in Omaha plus a couple in neighboring suburbs as part of Omaha Catholic College Fair Week. I talked to A LOT of students, a few parents, hung out with a few 'old' admissions counselor friends in our 'off' hours, made a few new admissions counselor friends, and spent WAY too much money while shopping at places that we don't have at home...like Target...love that store!

I say a 'few old friends' because I'm a bit of an anomaly in the Admissions world. Most counselor make it 1-2, maybe three years in this business, so seven years is pretty rare. So, every fall that I go out, there's always plenty of new faces behind the school banners. There were colleges represented from the Midwest, of course, but also states such as Louisianna, Oregon, Ohio, Texas, California and more. It's really fun to meet and get to know people from all over the country like that.

I don't talk about my job much on this blog and that's intentional...I've heard too many horror stories about people getting fired because of something they said about their jobs. Not that I really have much negative to say (actually, I quite enjoy my work and coworkers), but sometimes it's just better to be safe than sorry. However, I'll take a chance. If any of you have questions about what it's like to be an Admissions Counselor or about college planning, let me know. Maybe I can help you out!

Wedding
I just got home from Omaha last night and Kaitlin and I are turning around to head back out on the road tomorrow to head up to the Twin Cities with my family. A cousin of mine is getting married and we decided to make a mini-vacation of sorts. This cousin has a sister that is my same age and when we were younger, we were VERY close (like write each other 10 page letters every other week close), but as we've 'grown up', we've really lost touch. I am excited to see her again after all these years (15 maybe?) and also to have our daughters meet.

Renaissance Fair
Then, since we're going to be in the area anyway, we decided to all stay a second day to attend the Minnesota Renaissance Fair in Shakopee. I have wanted to go to this ever since I was in college, but never really had the opportunity...until now, so I'm taking it. As a bonus, my sister happened to get 6 free tickets into it!! Exactly how many tickets we needed...what luck! I imagine I'll have a few hundred pictures once I get back home, so will hopefully be sharing a few of those here soon.
College Fairs, Wedding and Renaissance FairSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend